Starting a blog is a great idea!
But…confused how to get started? I know starting a blog is terrifying.
Because there is so much info about that, and everybody is telling you a different story. But I’m glad you are here.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to create your own blog step-by-step. And you know what’s the best part? No technical knowledge is required!
Because I have shared every step I used to start this blog.
So, Let’s get in!
What is a Blog?
Let’s start with some formal definitions.
A hierarchy of text, images, media objects arranged consecutively is known as blog.
A blog is a website or webpage, run by an individual or a team, that is written in informal or conversational style.
So, you can say that a blog is just like your journal or diary through which you can share your thoughts, your passion, your life, anything you want to share with the World.
Common Reasons For Blogging
There are 100s of reason to start a blog, but some bold ones are:
- Engage an audience or build awareness.
- Establish authority in your niche.
- Share your story, thoughts or learnings.
- Meeting new peoples.
- Promoting an existing business or brand.
- Make money blogging.
Curious to start a blog? Let’s Dive in!
How to Start a Successful Blog
Beleive me, starting a blog is not rocket science, it is simple and easy.
1. Choose Topic You want to Blog About
But, wait before you get into it you need a clear vision, on which topic you want to start your blog.
In choosing a blog topic, I recommend you to choose something you’re interested in, you’re passionate about.
You love traveling? Start a travel blog!
You love games? Start a gaming blog!
You want to share anything? Start a general blog!
Before you set up a blog, lock the topic you love (This is super important). Why?
Because the topic you’re passionate about, you’ll very well about, you have a grip on that topic and which will add more value to your content which people will love to read. As you’re passionate about the topic, you will continue learning.
So, if you have a clear vision, great! If not then no problem select from some of these broad topics:
- Internet Related Stuff (such as Blogging, SEO, programming etc.).
- Products reviews (Online or Offline).
- News (All types).
- Stories (Motivational, Lesson).
Note: These are some topic there are millions of topic you can choose for your blog.
It Doesn’t matter whatever you choose, just be consistent, because blogging is like planting a tree, it takes time to grow.
2. Choose a Domain Name
The next big thing is choosing domain name through which people can access and read your blog.
People often seem to be confusing when it’s come to choosing a domain name. If you’re starting a personal blog then your name is best for your domain.
However, you can choose any name for your domain, whether it’s personal or for business.
If you’re choosing for the brand? Keep it simple, attractive. You can also refer to your friends or family for recommendations.
Things to consider when choosing a domain name:
- Try to stick with .com, .net or .org.
- Don’t use company’s brand names. It may cause you copyright issue.
- Don’t use numbers, hyphens in a domain.
- Make it easy to remember.
- Don’t get too crazy.
Don’t overthink, just choose the name, and start your blog now!
3. Hosting Your Blog
Your entire blog is based on your host, so it should be best. Hosting enables users to access your blog from anywhere in the world.
You need two things host and domain to make your blog live. It is the hard-and-fast rule to have both. There are many hosting services available. You need good hosting, so your website loads fast and has the best user experience.
- Free Domain.
- Free Site Builders.
- 1-click WordPress install.
- 24/7 support.
- $200 in Free Google Ads.
3.1 Choosing a Platform
What platform should I use for blogging?
The question which confuses many because of free platforms but they aren’t free. On free platform we don’t own the content and haven’t full access.
WordPress is one of the famous CMS in an online world, which powers around 28% of the website online.
Choosing WordPress is a smart choice because it has many options which can save your time and efficiency both. All the things on WordPress are ready in form of themes and plugins, you have to just edit it according to your own will.
Also, if stuck somewhere there are many people to help you.
Whether you are doing blog personally or for business WordPress is best.
Note: We’ll be using WordPress.org, not WordPress.com, means we’ll self-host our blog.
Why we aren’t using WordPress.com? Because:
- It only provides basic features for free.
- You can’t use your own theme.
- You can’t connect your own custom domain name.
- If you want full power and features then it costs $99 per year, even after paying we didn’t get all access.
Why use WordPress.org?
- All features, we own the content with all rights and we have to pay only hosting charges. For self-host BlueHost is best.
Advantages of Self-Host Blog
- 100% ownership.
- Fast loading website.
- You can make Money.
- Complete Customization of WordPress.
- 24/7 customer support.
Start your blog with BlueHost
First, go on BlueHost
- Click on the “Get Started” button
- Then, select your desired Package, recommended is to choose plus package.
- Now, enter your desired domain name, or connect if you have already bought from other sites.
- Now, fill your account information.
- Now, fill your package information, if you want to remain anonymous as a registrant of the domain then tick Domain Privacy Protection, otherwise, it’s not necessary. Site Backup Pro and Site lock Security is also not necessary, we can install a plugin for those. (Not recommended).
- Also, put your payment information.
- Then, choose the password for your account.
- Now, For Installing WordPress, login to your admin panel.
- Now, click on Install WordPress.
- Then, click on install
- After that, select your domain you bought with Bluehost hosting or the one you already bought from somewhere else. Leave the directory window empty.
- In the last step, Enter your site name, admin name (avoid using admin as username) and use a strong password, then click on install now.
Then, WordPress will automatically install in seconds, and you will get shortly get an email containing all your login credentials. Then, you can log in to your website admin panel at yourdomain.com/wp-admin
4. Basic Learning of WordPress For Blogging
After you successfully log in you’ll see the following dashboard:
Here are basic things you should know about WordPress admin panel:
- Dashboard: It is the page where you land after logging in.
- Posts: In this section, you can create, view, edit, and update new blog posts.
- Media: All images, PDFs, videos you’ve uploaded are here. Also, you can upload, delete media files here.
- Pages: You can create, edit, update publish new and old pages.
- Comments: All the comments readers leave will be shown up here.
- Appearance: Here you can change, customize your theme settings.
- Plugins: You can upload or delete new plugins here.
- Users: You can add or remove new users, administrators, editors. Also, you can edit your profile in this section.
- Tools: Some additional tools can be added here. You can skip this for now.
- Settings: You can edit essential setting here for your blog. We’ll discuss the important thing later.
5. Designing Your Blog
The default theme is installed “Twenty Seventeen” or you selected the one if you like it then your work is done in this section. If not, then install your favorite one.
WordPress has thousands of great and optimized themes available for free.
Things to remember in mind when choosing a theme:
- Simple and attractive.
- Speed Optimized.
- Easy Customization.
Now, you’re thinking I have to check all themes one by one? [Ops]. A Big No, just check the reviews of the theme you like and go. More importantly, choose what you like and think your users will also like.
I mostly use StudioPress themes (Genesis Framework) on my WordPress blogs.
You can change theme, by clicking on Appearance » Theme » Add New
When you click on Add New, there you can choose many free themes or can upload theme by clicking on Upload Theme and upload the zip file.How to Start a Blog, Like a #ProClick To Tweet
6. Setting Up Important Pages
Now, set up some important pages, before you public your blog:
- About page. [Write what you’ll offer to your audience, what people will get from your blog? who you’re?]
- Contact page.
- Terms of services page.
- Disclosure page.
For this go to your WordPress admin panel i.e. yourdomain.com/wp-admin
then to Page » Add New
7. Important Settings for Blog
- Click on the Settings tab, default tab of General will open.
- Setting » Reading, here you can select front page, front page and feeds posts quantity.
- Setting » Discussion, in this tab you can customize article, comment, and avatar settings.
- Setting » Permalinks, here we’ll change the permalink structure.
Now, I’m assuming that your blog is ready with pages, design and all the other important settings. So, you have to move towards next step i.e. speeding up WordPress. Because it’s not just ranking factor but also improve the user experience.
- Publish your first blogpost.
- Tips for Success Blogging in 2018
- How to Speed Up Your Blog
- Learn Search Engine Optimization
I think it would be easy for you to set up a blog (lucky you).
If by chance, you got stuck somewhere, leave a comment below or contact me.
How to Start a Blog in 2018, Beginners guideClick To Tweet
Now, you’re done with blog settings, and now you’ve to move further i.e. working on Blog posts and further steps. Good luck!