SEO is one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted terms in the world of marketing.
Many times you may hear a term SEO, which is nowadays one of the most important marketing tactics. It is very necessary for every webmaster to understand the true meaning of SEO as well as its importance.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process that is used to improve website visibility in search engines.
SEO is the marketing practice used to get organic or natural traffic from search engines such as Google, Baidu or Bing for free.
Who Can Learn SEO?
Yes, anyone can learn SEO. Whether you are a cook, programmer or a doctor, you can learn it easily.
You know what’s the best thing about SEO you don’t need mindless memorization to become an SEO professional.
But, you need to understand users, Before we learn what SEO is, it is must to know how actually search engines work.
And when it comes to search engines, Google has the biggest search engine market share, then comes Baidu, Bing and many more.
How SEO Works?
So, have you ever think what happens when you enter a simple query on Google, Bing, Baidu or whatever search engine you’re using.
As Google is the biggest search engine we’re going discuss how it works?
When you enter a query, there are thousands, and sometimes millions of websites, blog posts with relevant information.
So, the question is how Google figure out from billions of web pages what to show in search engine result pages?
Well, the journey of resulting starts before you think of a query to type in the search engine.
As, you want to know the answer to your query, not millions of web pages.
For that, Google systems sort relevant results from millions of web pages in their index (store website’s content in their database through bots).
Means, Google has a copy of all website content, blog post, images and videos in their index to read it analyze it and sort it according to relevant results. (This happens if you submit your website to Google).
Matt Cutts explains how Google search works?
When you enter a query in search engine, first Google analyzes it.
First, algorithms interpret spelling mistakes and check the words to understand the type of query using the latest research on natural language understanding.
Google has its own synonym system which helps search know what you’re trying to say.
They understand whether in which category you’re looking for search, such as you looking for the specific search or your query is broad.
You’re looking for words which include specific information like “videos”, “reviews” or “pictures”.
If you’re searching for trending keywords which means you want content published that day or the day before.
Or you might be searching for nearby business, restaurants or want some local info.
For every different category, there are different smart algorithms for the best relevant results.
Matching Relevant Content
After that, Google matches your search with the web pages in their index and checks search term in detail to show the relevant results. They check titles, headings, and content in the body.
Also, algorithms check for clues, that results will be potential for the user or not.
Checking 100s of Factors
As you know, for a typical query there are millions of relevant pages. Google has hundreds of different factors to rank the pages.
Some most common and important are:
- The freshness of content.
- In-Depth detailed content (at least 2000 words) with quality.
- Dwell time.
- Good user experience.
- Keyword (Search term) density.
- Authority & Trust.
- High-quality links from relevant websites.
Based On Context
Google also check your (user) recent search history and search settings and show you most relevant results at that moment.
Google uses location to deliver relevant content according to the area. They also personalize results using your personal information for better understanding.
Deliver the Best Results
And at the last, using different and 100s of its ranking signals, Google shows best relevant results to its users.
These are somethings which Google officially says, but it’s more than it looks.
There are too many things which Google checks, but doesn’t disclose any major thing for quality assurance.
This is the only ‘SE’ Search Engine part of SEO, O is for optimization (a process of improving website presence, we’ll discuss it later).
Evolution of Google’s Search Engine
Of course, Google is not that same as it was when first launched publicly. First, it was just a research project.
They daily test new different algorithms, to improve quality, they are continuously working for improvement.
Why SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Is Important?
SEO industry is evolving day by day. In the marketing industry SEO is more important than anything.
Search engines are serving millions of users with their billions of question or solutions daily.
If you’re running a website, e-commerce store or blog, then you must go with SEO. It can help you to grow your business.
Here’s Why Your Business Should Definitely Consider Search Engine Optimization
- SEO is good for business visibility and branding.
- People trust Google, and ranking for top positions in search engines helps to increase authority and trust of a website.
- A best free source to gain highly targeted traffic for business growth.
- SEO is good for branding, because if a user went to your website through Google or Bing and find it helpful is more likely to share on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn, which will do the work of mouth marketing.
- According to internet live stats, search engines on average processes over 5 billion search queries every day globally. And 5 billion/day is not a small quantity.
- SEO can help you to rank for high volume keywords and keep you ahead of the competition.
- According to research, 80% to 90% of customers check online reviews before making a purchase, whether online or offline.
- It is cost-effective, as compared to the other marketing tactics such as PPC advertising or social media marketing. SEO provides the best ROI in all.
- Investing in SEO is more important now than ever, your business definitely needs an SEO strategy if you want to succeed in the online marketing world.
- It is one of the important methods of organization for better branding and online presence.
- Without SEO, the website can be invisible to search engines.
Some Curious Facts About Google
- Everyday 16% to 20% of queries are new that has never been asked before.
- Since October 2015, more than half of Google’s searches happen on mobile.
- Google just doubled its site traffic, when Google introduced its “Did you mean?”.
Search Engine algorithms change frequently which results in changes of SEO techniques, due to frequent updates SEO is one of the industries most evolving field.
To remain in the SEO market, you must keep continuing learning.
See, How SEO is changing in 2019.